From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: Logging thread hascode instead of name
Date Mon, 05 Apr 2004 13:31:10 GMT
At 11:46 AM 4/5/2004 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Is it possible to set configuration so log4j logs current thread's hashcode
>instead of thread's name?
>My server sets names of all threads to "ApplicationServerThread" :-) and I
>can not tell
>which thread is handling which user. "Signing" each log entry with thread
>hashCode seems like not
>difficult tasks would really help me.

See my comments on PatternLayout below.

>Actually I have already implemented a "proxy" around Logger that adds
>hashcode to printed message,
>but the problem is that logged line numbers are always line numbers of the
>"proxy" class. Interesting -
>the class name is the name of the class that invokes debug() on "proxy"
>class - so with class name
>there is no problem.
>
>I have checked method getLineNumber() in LocationInfo. and now it looks to
>me really difficult to "fix"
>the problem with line numbers.

Actually support for wrappers is provided through the generic

   <../../../org/apache/log4j/Category.htm#log(java.lang.String,
org.apache.log4j.Priority, java.lang.Object,
java.lang.Throwable)>log(String callerFQCN,
<../../../org/apache/log4j/Priority.htm>Priority level, Object message,
Throwable t)

method.

>I was also thinking about using NDC. In a servlet it would work but in EJB
>it looks that I would have
>to set NDC each time a method is invoked (am I correct here? ) Since there
>is several thousands
>methods in my project it is simply too much work.

You could set the NDC or MDC in a servlet filter or EJB interceptor.

>Or maybe is it possible to define my own "letter" in Converter that would
>map to my class and in this class
>I just can generate String with current thread's hashcode and it will be
>appended to log entry?

Support for this provided in PatternLayout in log4j v 1.3. See
http://qos.ch/logging/PatternLayout.html for more details.

I hope this helps,

--
Ceki Gülcü