From James Stauffer <jstau...@spscommerce.com>
Subject RE: Which Way of "Extending" Gives Fastest Performance
Date Thu, 22 Apr 2004 15:32:48 GMT
Do you know that logging has a significant effect on your current
performance?  If it only takes 0.01% of CPU time then it doesn't really
matter.

James Stauffer

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Pepersack [mailto:rpepersack@mdinsurance.state.md.us]
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2004 10:31 AM
To: log4j-user@logging.apache.org
Subject: Which Way of "Extending" Gives Fastest Performance

Hi all.

I'm considering wrapping or extending log4j.  I've read this subject in
Ceki's book and this user list, but I can't find a performance
comparison.  I believe Ceki's assertion that wrapping is the best and
safest thing to do from a software engineering standpoint.  But, my users
and my boss care more about how fast the application performs.  I'm writing
a middleware framework that has to run faster than the framework we have in
production.  Does anyone know which performs fastest (wrapping or
extending)?

Also, is the MyLogger (the one that extends) in the 1.2.8 download the
latest and greatest?

Please forgive me if these questions have already been discussed.

Thanks,

Bob Pepersack