From Endre StĂžlsvik <En...@Stolsvik.com>
Subject Re: Which Way of "Extending" Gives Fastest Performance
Date Fri, 23 Apr 2004 14:37:45 GMT
On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Denis Haskin wrote:

| This conversation seems to have focused more on the checking of the
| boolean, which wasn't my original point.
|
| The issue I was raising was just to be aware of the potential cost of
| assembling the parameters for the debug() call, particularly because you
| will bear that cost even if debug logging is disabled (that is, if you
| don't wrap the debug() call in the conditional).

Not wrapping it in the conditional would be insane, granted. But that's
the sole reason for the isDebugEnabled(), and it is covered a bunch of
places in the log4j tutorials.

The original point, wrapping or extending, is interesting, though, and
Robert Pepersack haven't really gotten any answers yet! I don't know..

Endre