From Paul Smith <psm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Log4j category for a thread
Date Tue, 08 Jun 2004 03:43:34 GMT
What I think you want to use either the Nested Diagnostic Context (NDC) or
the Mapped Diagnostic Context
that is part of log4j and then have your appenders output them.

The NDC is a stack that you can push things on as your code goes down the
call stack.  The MDC is useful as a ThreadLocal map that is often used to
track such things as the User/IP etc of the user making the current
request.

Probably best to see this JavaDoc:

MDC: http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/api/org/apache/log4j/MDC.html
NDC: http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/api/org/apache/log4j/NDC.html