From "Alan Brown" <abr...@opstechnology.com>
Subject RE: logger.info() logs twice to the console
Date Tue, 01 Jun 2004 22:33:58 GMT
It sounds like you've not set additivity correctly (there's been a post
on that subject already today).

your logger may have 2 appenders set to it, the fileAppender and a
consoleAppender.  This is in addition to the root logger which also has
a consoleAppender causing double logging.

Or it could be that you have a hierarchy of loggers.  Root the parent of
X that is the parent of Y.  If X and Root both log to the console and Y
logs to a file, then you'd see the behaviour you describe.  You need to
set additivity to False to prevent the logging events propagating up the
logger hierarchy.

It's hard to tell unless you post your config file.

alan

-----Original Message-----
From: nak26@drexel.edu [mailto:nak26@drexel.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 12:53 PM
To: log4j-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: logger.info() logs twice to the console

Hi,

I am seeing logger.info() requests to log the same messgae twice on the
console. The logger has a FileAppender also and the files contains a
single log of the twicely-logged-on-the-console message.

Here's some pseudocode:

class Foo {
  //create a logger object on Foo.class

  //add apenders = File and Console

  //start a process and open an input and output pipes to the process

  //for each command written to the input pipe read the process's output
from the output pipe and log it using logger.info(logMessage)
}

Again, what I am seeing is that the logMessage gets logged twice on the
console (unexpected), and once on the log file (expected).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Nik