From "Frank Burns" <frankbu...@the-hub.demon.co.uk>
Subject Strange behaviour with JDBCAppender -- long time lags before control returns to code
Date Thu, 15 Jul 2004 14:53:56 GMT
Hi,

Can anyone shed some light on what might be happening here?

I was using the JDBCAppender that comes with log4j 1.2.8 to perform logging
to database tables.

This worked well except if no logging events occurred for some time then the
database logging ceased. I believe this was because the connection to the
database was timing out.

In an attempt to cure this I used the JDBCAppender from Thomas Fenner and
updated by Danko Mannhaupt -- see .

This now works fine for my app running on my development linux installation,
where it is logging to a mySQL database located on the same machine.

However, on the live linux implementation, where the database is on a
different server, when no events occur for some time, the logging to the
database still takes place immediately (the timestamp logged in the database
shows this) BUT it takes up to FIFTEEN MINUTES for control to return to the
code following this logging statement

    successfulLoginLogger.info(username.toUpperCase() + " logged in.");

Any ideas what's happening and how to solve it?

Thanks.

Frank Burns.