From "Scott Deboy" <sde...@comotivsystems.com>
Subject RE: Anyone using SNMPTrapAppender?
Date Sun, 18 Jul 2004 17:06:39 GMT
Wouldn setting the host name as an mdc entry and then using the mdc conversion pattern mechanism
work?

The thread that generates the events which require the hostname param should set the hostname
MDC entry prior to generating events:
MDC.put("hostname", "myhost");

Any log entry generated on the thread after the MDC entry is set will automatically have the
hostname entry.  No need to specify it in the message text.  Instead, you log your message:
myLog.debug("my debug message");

In the next version of log4j, a number of the network-based appenders support hostName and
application params specified in the config file since they are so commonly needed.

If set, these properties are provided with every event (no need to call mdc.put on each thread).
 Maybe smtpTrapAppender could be enhanced to provide this functionality as well.

Arbitrary name/value pairs would still need set via MDC.

Scott