From florian.ra...@techem.de
Subject log4j configuration problem
Date Thu, 08 Jul 2004 15:24:21 GMT
Hi,

I have a problem with the configuration of log4j. What I want to do is have some classes doing
their logging in level INFO. I used the rootLogger to achieve this and it is working very
well. There is another class (de.techem.novell.fileservice.Upload) which is still under development.
Therefore it should log it's messages in level DEBUG. This is my log4j config:

log4j.rootLogger=INFO,A1
log4j.logger.de.techem.novell.fileservice.Upload=DEBUG
log4j.appender.A1=org.apache.log4j.FileAppender
log4j.appender.A1.layout.ConversionPattern=%d %-5p %m%n
log4j.appender.A1.File=...filefilefilefile...

It seems to me that there is a problem in the second line of the config file because every
message is logged in level INFO. Then I changed the line to

log4j.logger.de=DEBUG

to be sure that the other classes in this package should log in level DEBUG but nothing happened.
Every class is still logging in the level defined for the rootLogger. Then I thought it might
have something to do with the classname and made log4j put the classname in my logfile changing
the pattern to %d %C %-5p %m%n. After that chage, the classname appeared in the logfile and
were exactly the same as specified in line 2 of the first version of the configfile (de.techem.novell.fileservice.Upload).

Everything I tried did not succeed, so I am mailint to this list to find someone who could
help me out. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Thanks for your help.
Flo