From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: log4j with with multiple web apps? URGENT!
Date Sun, 26 Sep 2004 17:12:09 GMT
Where do you have log4j.jar?  Is it in each application's WEB-INF/lib
directory or some shared directory?  The quick fix (assuming Resin enforces
servlet spec recommended classloading behavior) is to do the former.  The
more involved fix is to use a logger repository selector.  One exists for
Log4j-1.2.x in the log4j-sandbox project.  It is based on JNDI.  See here...
http://wiki.apache.org/logging-log4j/AppContainerLogging

If you decide to use the logger repository selector approach, make sure to
check out the LOG4J_SANDBOX_ALPHA3 tag because the ContextJNDISelector,
which is the repository selector you would use, doesn't exist in the
HEAD.  It was removed because Log4j-1.3 CVS now contains that code, only
modified significantly to work with Log4j-1.3's new API and features.  Read
the Javadoc of the InitContextListener and the ContextJNDISelector to
understand how to use this stuff.  Short term, I really recommend putting
log4j.jar in WEB-INF/lib because that is going to be much more simple to
get up and running quickly.

Jake