From "Scott Deboy" <sde...@comotivsystems.com>
Subject RE: [Chainsaw] IP address for SocketReceiver is lost when editbox loses focus
Date Tue, 05 Oct 2004 19:53:43 GMT
name isn't hostname...socketAppenders require a destination host and port.  The machine socketReceiver
runs on IS the destination host - the 'name' property is just used for display purposes -
maybe you have multiple socketreceivers configured to receive events from multiple machines,
for example.

SocketReceiver uses socketserver accept to accept connections from socketAppenders on the
port provided.

Multicast is udp - the difference is really that multicastappender joins a multicast group
and relies on routers to forward packets to interested networks.

UDP appender sends UDP packets to a target host.  UDP receiver receives
the packet and converts the packet to an event and hands it over to Chainsaw.

Multicast packets are sent to a multicast group by the multicast appender.  Any number of
machines can send packets to the multicast group.

Any number of machines can also join the multicast group using a multicast receiver and receive
all of the logging events sent by anyone sending to that multicast group.

UDP/multicast is an unreliable protocol (you may lose events) and there are limits on the
packet size (the smallest MTU of any link in the chain, I believe).

Here is a link to the net package containing the sources for these receivers and appenders:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/logging-log4j/src/java/org/apache/log4j/net/

Does that help?

Scott