From rubble <mcrubb...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: extending log4j question
Date Thu, 04 Nov 2004 19:16:20 GMT
freeze simple method that serializes any object to
xml.
I have a bunch of

.debug("could do do this to this record", RecordVO);

I know, I could convert my code to
.debug("could do do this to this record" +
Util.freeze(RecordVO) );

But since I was using my own logging framework before
I just made it a convenience method.

But I'm also asking the question in a more general
sense... For instance, if I wanted the code update the
status on a big brother monitor, or something totally
custom like that.  Hmmm... but I suppose you would
write a custom appender to do that then?

So are you saying my singleton poses a performance
problem and I should just do this:
.debug("could do do this to this record" +
Util.freeze(RecordVO) );
?

Thanks a bunch!

-matt

--- Ceki Gülcü <ceki@qos.ch> wrote:

> At 04:42 PM 11/4/2004, rubble wrote:
>
> >public void debug(String msg, Object obj) {
> >   log4j.debug(msg + ": " + Util.freeze(obj));
> >}
>
> What does Util.freeze(obj) do?
>
> --
> Ceki Gülcü
>
>       For log4j documentation consider "The complete
> log4j manual"
>       http://www.qos.ch/shop/products/eclm/

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> log4j-user-help@logging.apache.org