From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: best practice question: webapp relative filenames in FileAppenders
Date Fri, 12 Nov 2004 05:14:34 GMT
Why not use a system property and reference it in your config using the
usual ${someproperty} syntax.  For instance...

${catalina.home}/logs/mylog.log

If you want it to be dynamic per webapp, then you can set the system
property in a servlet context listener and then perform the manual
configuration of Log4j.

And if you are configuring manually via a startup servlet, why put
log4j.properties in the classpath?  It would get picked up there
automatically anyway (at least under a server using child-first
classloading behavior recommended by the servlet spec) assuming log4j.jar
is also in WEB-INF/lib.

Jake