From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Adding the date as part of the file name.
Date Tue, 31 May 2005 15:29:46 GMT
The configuration fragment assumes log4j 1.3.

log4j 1.2 had two rolling file appenders
org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender which rolled on the next event
after a file size limit was reached and
org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender which rolled on the next
event after a date change.  log4j 1.3 introduced a new framework
which allowed user provided triggering policies (what to roll on) and
rolling policies (how to name or rename files on a rollover).  The
old org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender and
o.a.l.DailyRollingFileAppender are emulated using the new framework.

Log4j 1.3 would allow the flexibility to create a hybrid where both
size and time were used as rolling criteria, but there is no such
implementation at this time.

The max backup limit issue does not apply to time based rolling files
since the rolled files do not need to be renamed.  In the
org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender, each rollover requires MyLog.0
to be renamed to MyLog.1, ... My Log.n-1 to MyLog.n so a large limit
could result in a substantial amount of time being involved in
renaming files.

If you are limited to log4j 1.2.x, use
org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender.  If you are using log4j
1.3.x, use a fragment like the one provided.  If daily rolling is not
sufficient, you can extend the filename format to rollover more
frequently.