From "Aron Bock" <aronb...@hotmail.com>
Subject Multiple Projects Using Same Logger
Date Sun, 22 May 2005 00:05:30 GMT
Hi,

>I'm a new log4j user.  I want to use it in a j2ee web application--however,
>I want its
>components, packed in separate jars, to use the same logger(s), if
>possible.

I've since discovered that if Bar uses a non-static, local, logger, things
work as I want.  I don't know this is advisable, and shall continue
checking.

Thus my new logMessage() is:

private void logMessage(String msg, Level lvl) {
        Logger logger = Logger.getLogger(this.getClass().getName());
        if ( logger.isDebugEnabled()
                &&
Logger.getRootLogger().getAllAppenders().hasMoreElements() )
            logger.log(lvl, msg);
        else
            System.out.println("sysout:" + msg );
}

The caveat here, I suppose, is that RootLogger will need an appender--even
if a do-nothing one.  I did read that there are [edge] cases in which the
configured-ness of non-root loggers does not bubble up to the root logger.
Insight from those who've already been down this path would be much
appreciated.

( Incidentally, to elaborate on a prior post, the reason I use logMessage()
is because I expect to want to log context information as well, and I'd like
NDC push/pop to be isolated to and encapsulated in logMessage )

Regards,

--A