From "Bruno Melloni" <Bruno.Mell...@akuratus.com>
Subject Re: log4j 1.3 update needed...
Date Mon, 09 May 2005 12:54:34 GMT
Hein,

I am not a log4j developer, just a log4j user.  But I understand
development quite well.  We would all like easy to build, friendly CVS,
alpha and beta vesions, but those are not part of the product.  Alpha
versions of any software are expected to be a mess... the whole purpose
of their existence is to help the developers, not us users.  Beta
versions are for final debugging.  You should not be using those
versions for normal work.

I suggest that you do what I do... don't use Alpha versions, and avoid
Beta versions as much as possible.

Good luck.

Bruno Melloni
Director of Software Architecture
Akuratus Corporation
1333 N. Stemmons Fwy, Suite 110
Dallas, Texas 75207
Phone: 469.227.0920
Fax: 469.227.0967
bruno.melloni@akuratus.com
www.akuratus.com

>>> meling@acm.org 5/8/2005 4:11:38 PM >>>
Dear log4j developers.

I would really like to encourage you to release a new 1.3 alpha7 or
beta1 something ASAP, as alpha6 has been out there for too long
without
any updates; and I don't want to spend my time trying to compile a cvs
version, since it does not appear to be straight forward with maven or
some other simple means (that is, I don't want to hunt the net for jar
files...)

In particular, I find alpha6 quite useless with all its log4j internal
log output polluting the output, similar to this:

log4j:INFO Creating new logger [jgroup.util.log.Eventlogger] in
repository [default].

Maybe its possible to turn them off; (have only seen messages on the
list stating otherwise)...

Thanks,

Hein