From "Martin Kindler" <kindl...@arcor.de>
Subject Security Manager and log4j
Date Mon, 04 Jul 2005 07:41:58 GMT
Hi list,

I am new to this list, so at first greetings to all!

Now my little problem:
I have a web-application developed with Struts to which I added logging
using commons-logging and log4j.
My application is deployed under Tomcat 5.x.

As my webhoster uses a security-manager I am looking for the correct
permissions to set for using logging.
Sure there has to be something allowed as I want to write to a file.

I managed to have it going with the following addition to my catalina.policy
file:

// These permissions apply to the log4j API used by CityExperience
applications
grant codeBase
"file:${catalina.home}/webapps/cxpEditSpike/WEB-INF/lib/log4j-1.2.9.jar" {
     permission java.security.AllPermission;
};
// These permissions apply to the log4j API used by CityExperience
applications
grant codeBase
"file:${catalina.home}/webapps/cxpEditSpike/WEB-INF/lib/commons-logging.jar"
{
     permission java.security.AllPermission;
};

But I think giving "AllPermission" is a bit too much.

When I try to change this to (for codebase log4j only in the beginning and
leaving commons-logging as it is)

	permission java.io.FilePermission <<ALL FILES>>, "write"

(which is still too much IMHO)

I always get some error stating that the log file could not be found.

Reading the docs, googling and searching the archives I did not find an
answer to my problem.

Surely someone on this list will know!

Martin

cityExperience.net