From Dovlecel Alexandru Ovidiu <alexandru.dovle...@siemens.com>
Subject Chainsaw as applet with reduced functionality
Date Mon, 11 Jul 2005 11:16:24 GMT
Hi all!

I would like to know if it's possible to use ChainSaw as described below.
And if yes, please give me some hints or references to some docs that tell
me how to do it.

I have a web application that uses Log4J for logging some data and also for
logging some audit messages (keeping track of the actions a user executes
while he is logged in).

Now, I want to be able to check the log files using the web interface
(browser access). This would be especially useful for the audit trails, but
could prove important also for checking all the log files generated by the
web application (serverside).

The easiest way seems to be integrating the ChainSaw as an applet and
providing only some functionalities (open a remote .log file based on
parameters sent to the applet, filtering the content). I don't want the user
to be able to load several log files in the same chainsaw instance, or being
able to access the menu and some other tools (receivers). (BTW, I am not
interested in realtime data, just to be able to open the log files in a nice
GUI and browse the messages in an easy way).

So, do you think this can be achieved with ChainSaw (or other tool)?

If yes, can you pls give me some hints? Do I have to change the sources?
Where should I look for changes?

Sorry if this question does not belong to this group...

Thanks a lot for the help,
Alex