From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Need properties files example for multiple output files
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2005 14:25:29 GMT
Quoting Javier Gonzalez <jagonzal@gmail.com>:

> First define your appenders, like this for example:
>

> <appender name="CONSOLE" class="org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender">
>       <param name="Target" value="System.out"/>
>       <param name="Threshold" value="DEBUG"/>
>       <layout class="org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout">
>          <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%d{HH:mm:ss.SSS} %-5p
> [%C{2}:%M] %m (%F:%L)%n"/>
>       </layout>
> </appender>
>
> and then attach them to Loggers like this (for example to the root logger):
>
> <root>
>       <priority value="INFO"/>
>       <appender-ref ref="CONSOLE"/>
> </root>
>
> IIRC, to attach an appender named FOO to a regular (non-root) logger
> called foo.bar you would to it like this:
>
> <category name="foo.bar">
>   <priority value="ERROR"/>
>   <appender-ref ref="FOO"/>
> </category>
>
> (somebody please correct me if I remember wrong this last bit)

The only thing wrong is that you use <category> and <priority>.  Replace those
with <logger> and <level> and you are golden.  Not that the former won't work,
just that Category and Priority classes are deprecated and Logger and Level are
their replacements.

Also note that there is a specific order in defining the elements which is
detailed by the DTD.  Make sure to follow that or you'll get problems with
validating XML parsers.

Jake