From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: seize all logging messages?
Date Wed, 17 Aug 2005 21:01:33 GMT

On Aug 17, 2005, at 1:17 AM, Adam Megacz wrote:

> Assuming that log4j is up and running in some unknown state, is there
> any way to programmatically intercept all log messages and "do
> something" with them?

With Bender Hari's suggestion I believe you would be limited to only
capturing the message part of the logging request and would lose time-
stamp, logger name, NDC, MDC and the like.  You would also see only
those logging requests that passed the threshold tests to get into
the dispatching pipeline.  If, for example, you wanted to see all
logging requests even though log4j was configured to turn logging
off, the approach would not work since the logging requests would
never get into the dispatching pipeline.

> Most of the log4j docs seem oriented towards static configuration
> (properties files) rather than dynamic configuration.

The documentation is oriented that way since that is the more common
way to use log4j.  However, the configurators use public methods that
any app can call to configure log4j and the configuration can be
changed during the application lifetime.

The way you phrased the question appears that you want to countermand
or veto an explicit configuration decision made earlier.  log4j
doesn't make it easy for you to fight or override an earlier
configuration (you can however reset it and start again).  When and
how log4j is configured is controlled by the calling application, so
you should make your life easier by controlling how log4j is configured.

If you give more details of the situation that you are facing, maybe
we can give you better advice.