From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: V1.2.8: RollingFileAppender sometimes loses files when logging across Storage Area Network (SAN)
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2005 04:09:49 GMT

On Aug 2, 2005, at 6:41 PM, Karr, David wrote:

> So, is there some aspect of the RollingFileAppender that might be
> configurable to help alleviate this?  Is there a different Appender
> that
> might not be susceptible to this?

The log4j 1.2 implementation (if I remember correctly) is susceptible
to file loss if the rename operation fails.  The implementation in
the CVS HEAD should be more resilient and should avoid rolling over
if there is a failure in any of the renaming operations or on opening
the new log file.  Unfortunately, the CVS HEAD is not binary
compatible at this time with log4j 1.2.  However, if you could test
the CVS HEAD under the same conditions and see if the problem occurs
there, we can determine if it is a known problem or something new.