From James Stauffer <stauffer.ja...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: AsyncAppender with dbAppender
Date Thu, 18 Aug 2005 20:49:38 GMT
We have over 12,000 users (people who pay to use our service and
generally use it at least once per day -- some use it all day every
day) and we send all error logs to a Database.  We have never really
had issues with the time to log unless things were really going
horrible anyway so it wouldn't matter.  Over the last 4 months we have
averaged 1,111 error logs per day.  Over the last 2 months it has been
812/day.  The maximum that we had in one day was 87,426 (One error
could cause 46 errors logs -- we fixed that) and it seemed to handle
that relatively well.  We did write our own Database Appender to use
our own Database layer.

In conclusion any problems with writing logs to the Database were
caused by code issues that could be handled once and then we didn't
have to worry about it anymore.  I would suggest running test cases to
determine if it is actually a potential problem for you or not.

On 8/18/05, Kuldeep Kumar <kuldeep.kumar@wellsfargo.com> wrote:
> How did you get around the performance of dbAppender?
>
> The documentation says (and I have observed it too) that the logging per
> statement, with a ConnectionPool takes around 10 milli seconds. While as it
> takes around 300 micro seconds with a FileAppender. With thousands of users, I
> have concern that using dbAppender by itself may cause performance issues.

James Stauffer