From "Bruno Melloni" <Bruno.Mell...@akuratus.com>
Subject Re: Deprecated - what to use instead?
Date Fri, 19 Aug 2005 16:36:07 GMT
My apologies, you are correct.  It says: "Deprecated: Replaced by
RootLogger" near the top of the page.  I missed it.

It might be a good idea to make deprecated notices.  Now that I've seen
it I know what to look for, but perhaps making it large or even red
might be a good idea.  It would be easier for newcomers.

Bruno Melloni
Director of Software Architecture
Akuratus Corporation
1333 N. Stemmons Fwy, Suite 110
Dallas, Texas 75207
Phone: 469.227.0920
Fax: 469.227.0967
bruno.melloni@akuratus.com
www.akuratus.com

>>> carnold@apache.org 08/19 10:56 AM >>>

On Aug 19, 2005, at 10:50 AM, Bruno Melloni wrote:

> One question and one suggestion for the log4j developers:
>
> Suggestion:
>
> When deprecating a class, please mention in the javadocs what the
> replacement code is.  Not everyone is a guru at all aspects of
log4j,
> and some hints and examples would go a long way when we try to
upgrade
> legacy code to the latest version.
>
> Question:
>
> org.apache.log4j.spi.RootCategory is now deprecated.  What should I

> use
> instead?  My exact call is: "Hierarchy hierarchy = new Hierarchy(new
> RootCategory(Level.DEBUG));)"

RootLogger.  In the Javadoc @deprecation comment for the RootCategory

class, there is a mention to use RootLogger instead.  However, I
haven't checked the Javadoc to see how that was rendered.