From "Mark Womack" <mwom...@apache.org>
Subject Re: PropertyConfigurator.configureAndWatch
Date Thu, 06 Oct 2005 02:33:13 GMT
You are right.  We should not have removed the api, and reviewing the api
changes we have made is a task for the 1.3 beta.  We should look at what is
different and if we want to live with it, put it back, deprecated it, etc.

I believe that, yes, configureAndWatch could be implemented with the
FileWatchdog.  It will probably have slightly different behavior (like not
allowing multiple watchers from multiple calls to the method), but I think
it would be better behavior.  Or we could leave it.  The big deal breaker
was that there was not way to shutdown the watcher in the web server
environment.  This would be fixed with the new plugin stuff.

-Mark

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Deboy" <sdeboy@comotivsystems.com>
To: "Log4J Users List" <log4j-user@logging.apache.org>
Cc: "Log4J Developers List" <log4j-dev@logging.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 8:36 AM
Subject: RE: PropertyConfigurator.configureAndWatch

We can't remove the api without deprecating it 1st, so log4j 1.3 should
support the configureandwatch methods.

Is the plan to have domconfigurator.configureandwatch (and
propertyconfigurator?) leverage a watchdog?  I thought we had discussed
this before but don't see it in the mailing list archive.

Scott