From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject RE: PropertyConfigurator.configureAndWatch
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2005 16:04:47 GMT
Quoting Scott Deboy <sdeboy@comotivsystems.com>:

> We can't remove the api without deprecating it 1st, so log4j 1.3 should
> support the configureandwatch methods.

I don't disagree, but this came with the fallout of the initial development path
for Log4j-1.3 to be, acceptably, incompatible with Log4j-1.2.xx.  There have
been a number of changes since then making Log4j-1.3 closer to binary
compatible with Log4j-1.2.xx.  This is just one of those cases that hasn't yet
been re-addressed.

> Is the plan to have domconfigurator.configureandwatch (and
> propertyconfigurator?) leverage a watchdog?  I thought we had discussed
> this before but don't see it in the mailing list archive.

You'll have to look further back in the archives.  Mark was working on these
things a long time ago, probably even for a later 1.2.xx release.  I think
development of them kind of stopped when Mark became less active.  Now that
he's more active again, I would think that they would see the light of day in
Log4j-1.3.  But I'll leave the last word on that to Mark.  I'm making
assumptions here.

Jake