From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject RE: Switching to XML configuration does not work
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2005 15:29:26 GMT
Quoting Rakesh Patel <Rakesh.Patel@sharepeople.com>:

> Hi,
>
> So I change to DOMConfigurator and find that its been deprecated in 1.3.
> Ok, so I check the API and now I need to use the JoranConfigurator.
> Finding an example is hard and eventually find a testcase in the log4j
> cvs repository:
>
> JoranConfigurator jc = new JoranConfigurator();
>
> jc.doConfigure("c:/Projects/FETServer/conf/log4j.xml",
> LogManager.getLoggerRepository());
>
> Next problem - no sign of the SMTPAppender!!!! Its not in the latest
> alpha release(6) but I can see it in the HEAD!!!! ARRRGGGHHH!!!!!! I did
> actually compile my own but didn't include the mail stuff because I
> didn't think I'd need it and that's why I switched back to alpha 6.

In Log4j-1.3, stuff depending on specific outside libraries such as javamail
were split into separate jars.  Look for something like log4j-mail.jar (can't
remember exactly what it is called, but it is something like that).  So, it is
probably there, you are just not expecting it to be in a separate jar.  I'm not
sure that the split of jars will continue in future releases.  The developmental
direction of Log4j-1.3 has changed in recent months.

> So, do I now create my own compiled version of the latest code and
> include it this time???

The latest alpha binary is probably very different than what is currently in
source control.  I would suggest either building yourself (from the new SVN
source) or waiting a short time for the next build.  I believe Wednesday is the
scheduled date for the next alpha build to get released.

Jake