From "Boddapati, Vijaya" <Vijaya.Boddap...@ibx.com>
Subject RE: PropertyConfigurator.configureAndWatch
Date Thu, 06 Oct 2005 13:13:37 GMT
Hi,
 I have gone thru the latest log4j API and I have extended FileWatchDog
class and implemented doOnChange() method.

 My basic idea is to write a wrapper class that will consist of static
methods for debug, info, warn and error logging. And can call only these
methods directly for logging. Is there any way that I can access these
methods statically, and loading the properties dynamically. If I use
static block for loading the properties, then the properties can not be
loaded dynamically. But if I use constructor to load the properties, I
need to call the constructor at every time I log the message. And
another way is to create a non-static method and call it in all of the
static methods which is not optimal. Please suggest how to proceed on
this.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Vijaya

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Womack [mailto:mwomack@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 10:33 PM
To: Log4J Users List
Subject: Re: PropertyConfigurator.configureAndWatch

You are right.  We should not have removed the api, and reviewing the
api
changes we have made is a task for the 1.3 beta.  We should look at what
is
different and if we want to live with it, put it back, deprecated it,
etc.

I believe that, yes, configureAndWatch could be implemented with the
FileWatchdog.  It will probably have slightly different behavior (like
not
allowing multiple watchers from multiple calls to the method), but I
think
it would be better behavior.  Or we could leave it.  The big deal
breaker
was that there was not way to shutdown the watcher in the web server
environment.  This would be fixed with the new plugin stuff.

-Mark