From Priya Ingle <ingle_pr...@yahoo.com>
Subject log4j and multiple server instances
Date Thu, 06 Oct 2005 17:50:08 GMT
Hi,

We have one j2ee application with only one ear. We have the log4j.jar at ear level under lib
directory and then we set up LD_LIBRARY_PATH (through WebSphere - which is done at server
scope) to point to that folder so that our utility jar and war can pick log4j.jar and log4j.properties
from ear/lib. We are running this application on websphere running on Linux box.

With this configuration, it was running fine, creating our custom log files at specified location
in log4j.properties.

Now, I have created 2 instances of server on the same machine - one for development, one for
testing. I installed the same ear on the newly created server instance, changed log4j.properties
to write log files in different directory tree. So now, I have 2 instances of websphere servers
running on same machine, running basically same application (with it's own copy of everything
off course).

But, I see that the logs that should be have been created by this 2nd application are still
being written in the log file that was initially created by 1st instance. The 2nd application
never created it's own log files under the new directory specified in it's own log4j.properties.

As I understand, 2 different instances of server have 2 seperate jvms, also they have their
own copy of log4j.  Hence, even if log4j is singleton, that shouldn't matter and it should
have been totally unaware about the 1st application and hence 1st log4j. Thus the 2nd application
should have created it's own log files and written logs there.

Can anyone shed any light on what I may be missing?

Thanks,
Priya

Yahoo! for Good