From John Cherouvim ...@eworx.gr>
Subject unable to setup log4j for tomcat
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2005 13:07:00 GMT
Hello

I'm pretty new with log4j so excuse me if my question is very basic.

I have managed to setup log4j and call it from a class which I run
directly from Netbeans. I have configured log4j using a log4j.properties
in WEB-INF\classes\properties which is contained in the classpath in my
project
This one contains:
log4j.rootLogger=debug, stdout, R
log4j.appender.stdout.layout.ConversionPattern=%5p [%t] (%F:%L) - %m%n
log4j.appender.R.File=example.log
log4j.appender.R.MaxFileSize=100KB
log4j.appender.R.layout.ConversionPattern=%p %t %c - %m%n

Which works great. In my project's folder I can now see a file called
'example.log' where I get all my logs.

Now if I run my application from within tomcat no file is created and I
cannot find the logging that I did when the application run.
I also tried to do
log4j.appender.R.File=/usr/local/tomcat5/webapps/test-john-7/example.log
which is a direct path of the file on the server.

What did miss?
Regards,
Ioannis