From "Harp, George" <GH...@GAINSystems.com>
Subject RE: Show logs in real time on a Swing Application
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2005 18:29:29 GMT
Have you checked out chainsaw?

-----Original Message-----
From: Ricardo Lopes [mailto:A448@alunos.ipca.pt]
Sent: Monday, October 03, 2005 1:28 PM
To: log4j-user@logging.apache.org
Subject: Show logs in real time on a Swing Application

Hi,

I want to include a way of showing the logs on the applications i'm
developping. Something simple like pressing a button on my swing
interface a showing a window with the contents of the log.
I'm currently using a FileAppender with a custom format to save the
logs.

I would really like to do it this way:

1- Read all the Log and put it on the swing window
2- Register a custom appender (on the fly) that would append the new
entries on the window as they are logged
3- When the window is closed the appender is removed

Is it posible to do this?
Would it affect logging performance anyhow?

Thanks,
Ricardo Lopes.