From "Scott Deboy" <sde...@comotivsystems.com>
Subject RE: Some Feedback from using Chainsaw V2 ...
Date Fri, 07 Oct 2005 21:28:33 GMT
Thanks for the feedback -

Chainsaw supports most of what you've suggested.  Here are the details:

- You should be able to open Chainsaw from the command line and specify the configuration
file  by adding -Dlog4j.configuration=chainsaw.xml to the command (log4j.xml has to be in
the classpath).  Example command line (in this example, chainsaw.xml is in \downloads\log4j):

java -Dlog4j.configuration=chainsaw.xml -classpath c:\downloads\log4j;c:\downloads\log4j\jakarta-oro-2.0.8.jar;c:\downloads\log4j\log4j-chainsaw-1.3alpha-7.jar;c:\downloads\log4j\log4j-oro.jar;c:\downloads\log4j\log4j-xml.jar;c:\downloads\log4j\log4j-optional.jar;c:\downloads\log4j\log4j-1.3alpha-7.jar
 org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.LogUI

- If you are using a receiver like LogFilePatternReceiver (log file not stored using XMLLayout)
to view a log file, you can 'reload' the log file by clearing events and restarting the receiver:
  - clear the events from the tab (ctrl-backspace or the trash can icon)
  - open the receiver panel (view-show receivers menu)
  - select the receiver that's loading events from the log file
  - select the third icon from the left in the receiver toolbar (tooltip is 'restarts the
selected Receiver')

- If you're viewing a log file stored using XMLLayout, you can still clear the current tab
and then choose file-open and open the file

- You can close a tab by right-clicking on a tab and selecting 'hide'  (you can also undock
a tab by double-clicking on the tab-to re-dock 'close' the tab)

- To hide the Welcome tab, press F1, or select the 'view-Welcome tab' menu

- I agree with the pre-defined filters suggestion, and I'll make the change

These are all good questions and should be added to the tutorial.

Scott