From "Scott Deboy" <sde...@comotivsystems.com>
Subject RE: Some Feedback from using Chainsaw V2 ...
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2005 16:34:23 GMT
There is a log4j wiki - adding a ChainsawTutorial topic would be a great
help - feel free to contribute.  The wiki appears to be down now but
here's the link: http://wiki.apache.org/logging-log4j/Log4JProjectPages

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: Siegfried Goeschl [mailto:siegfried.goeschl@it20one.at]
Sent: Saturday, October 08, 2005 4:37 AM
To: Log4J Users List
Subject: Re: Some Feedback from using Chainsaw V2 ...

Hi Scott,

is there any way to contribute to the tutorial? ChainsawV2 is very
powerful but initially I felt lost when switching from the old Chainsaw.

Just had a quick look - I have no idea how you generate the
documentation though ....

+) would it make sense to write a seperate tutorial in any document
format (apart from MS Word)
+) there is a WIKI would could be a starting point
+) since a tutorial will contain a few images maybe OpenOffice would be
okayish

My other comments you find below ...

Thanks in advance

Siegfried Goeschl

Scott Deboy wrote:

>Thanks for the feedback -
>
>Chainsaw supports most of what you've suggested.  Here are the details:
>
>- You should be able to open Chainsaw from the command line and specify
the configuration file  by adding -Dlog4j.configuration=chainsaw.xml to
the command (log4j.xml has to be in the classpath).  Example command
line (in this example, chainsaw.xml is in \downloads\log4j):

Gotcha

>java -Dlog4j.configuration=chainsaw.xml -classpath
c:\downloads\log4j;c:\downloads\log4j\jakarta-oro-2.0.8.jar;c:\downloads
\log4j\log4j-chainsaw-1.3alpha-7.jar;c:\downloads\log4j\log4j-oro.jar;c:
\downloads\log4j\log4j-xml.jar;c:\downloads\log4j\log4j-optional.jar;c:\
downloads\log4j\log4j-1.3alpha-7.jar  org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.LogUI

>- If you are using a receiver like LogFilePatternReceiver (log file not
stored using XMLLayout) to view a log file, you can 'reload' the log
file by clearing events and restarting the receiver:
>  - clear the events from the tab (ctrl-backspace or the trash can
icon)
>  - open the receiver panel (view-show receivers menu)
>  - select the receiver that's loading events from the log file
>  - select the third icon from the left in the receiver toolbar
(tooltip is 'restarts the selected Receiver')

>- If you're viewing a log file stored using XMLLayout, you can still
clear the current tab and then choose file-open and open the file

I'm not sure but Chainsaw always starts from the USER_HOME and running
file open is in our case a long way to refresh the file. There are many
ways to skin the cat

+) reload button
+) keeping track of the origin directory
+) recent logfile list

>- You can close a tab by right-clicking on a tab and selecting 'hide'
(you can also undock a tab by double-clicking on the tab-to re-dock
'close' the tab)

Ooops, is hiding the same as closing?! Sorry for sounding dumb ... .

>- To hide the Welcome tab, press F1, or select the 'view-Welcome tab'
menu

I'm not good in reading welcome screens - I'm sure it was mentioned
thers somewhere ...