From "Scott Deboy" <sde...@comotivsystems.com>
Subject RE: SocketHubAppender listening on specific network interface
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2005 21:23:46 GMT
JavaDoc for ServerSocket(int, int, InetAddress), which is how you get a
serversocket to listen on a specific interface, says that if bindAddr is
null, 'it will default accepting connections on any/all local
addresses'.

SocketHubAppender uses the new ServerSocket(int) arg, which uses the
null arg for inetaddress.

It sounds like this shouldn't be an issue, but there may be a bug.  Can
you tell using telnet whether or not this is the case?

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: JoergVater@web.de [mailto:JoergVater@web.de]
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 1:54 PM
To: log4j-user@logging.apache.org
Subject: SocketHubAppender listening on specific network interface

Hi there,

is there a possibility to configure a SocketHubAppender in a way to
listen on a specific network interface?

I'm trying to set up an application on a machine with several network
interfaces with different IP adresses. In my log4j.xml I placed a
SocketHubReceiver. I can set the port where the appender should accept
connections with the "port" param. Unfortunately with this configuration
the port is opened, but only on one network IF - not the one that I can
access with my chainsaw client.

Is there a way to tell a SocketHubReceiver to bind to a port on a
specific IP-address / network interface or to all interfaces?

Joerg