From "Rakesh Patel" <Rakesh.Pa...@sharepeople.com>
Subject RE: Next alpha release
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2005 14:20:25 GMT
That's useful info, thanks.

I guess the million dollar question is when is the next release likely
to be ready for production use? If it's unlikely this side of christmas
then I guess going back to 1.2 might be a better choice for me (with
your useful code snippet to get the functionality I want).

Cheers

Rakesh

-----Original Message-----
From: Curt Arnold [mailto:carnold@apache.org]
Sent: 19 October 2005 15:08
To: Log4J Users List
Subject: Re: Next alpha release

On Oct 19, 2005, at 8:03 AM, Rakesh Patel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Been hearing about an imminent alpha 7 release for a few weeks now.
> Any
> news?
>
> There have been a lot of changes from 1.2 to 1.3. The only reason I
> opted for 1.3 is because of the ("some data {}", value) functionality.

> Is it possible to retrofit that into 1.2? Moving to 1.3 seems quite
> painful with all the changes.
>
> Cheers
>
> Rakesh

In http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=log4j-dev&m=112917692022155&w=2, M
 ark Womack provided a build for consideration to the log4j-dev list
and the PMC as a candidate to be 1.3 alpha 7.  It isn't a release
since there hasn't been a vote yet and the eventual 1.3 alpha 7 may
be different (and may likely be due to bug 37122).  However, if you
want to download the build and provide feedback, feel free.

One of the reasons that we are still calling 1.3 an alpha is the API
is subject to change and an systematic review of all the API changes
between 1.2 and 1.3 will be undertaken before freezing the API.  I'm
not particularly fond of the particular way that formatting was
integrated in 1.3 and believe that using an independent logging
formatter class would result in equivalent performance and allow the
user to choose his formatter.  The JDK provides other formatters
other than MessageFormat and the current log4j 1.3 doesn't implement
all of MessageFormat.

For example:

logger.debug("some data {}", value);

written using an external formatter would look like:

MessageFormatter.debug(logger, "some data {}", value);

The implementation of MessageFormatter would look something like:

public class MessageFormatter {
     private MessageFormatter() {}
     public static void debug(final Logger logger, final String fmt,
final Object param1) {
         if (logger.isDebugEnabled()) {
            logger.debug(MessageFormat.format(fmt, new Object[]
{ param1 }));
         }
     }
     //  repeated for other permutations
}

You could write a class for your own use now that would work with
either log4j 1.3 or log4j 1.2.

American Express Investments and American Express Independent Financial Advisers are marketing
names for American Express Financial Services Europe Limited, a separate corporation within
the American Express group of companies.  American Express Financial Services Europe Limited
is authorised and regulated by, and is entered into the register (No. 190853 www.fsa.gov.uk/register/)
of, the Financial Services Authority and a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered
in England No. 3614902. Registered address: 230 Blackfriars Road, London SE1 8NW. Vat No.
740 4143 68.

The information in this email and any attachments is confidential and intended solely for
the attention and use of the named addressee(s). It may be subject to legal, professional
or other privilege and further distribution of it is strictly prohibited without our authority.
 If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorised to and must not disclose, copy,
distribute, or retain this message or any part of it, and should notify us immediately.