From "Chaohua Wang" <chaohua.w...@premierdata.com>
Subject RE: How to start chainsaw
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2006 23:16:02 GMT
Thank you, it is very helpful.

I have found I also can start from set up receiver in GUI.
But after I shut down the Chainsaw, then started it again. The receiver
that I set up is gone. How to save my receiver?
Thank you.

Chaohua

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Deboy [mailto:sdeboy@comotivsystems.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2006 3:05 PM
To: Log4J Users List
Subject: RE: How to start chainsaw

Here are instructions on how to read jboss log files using Chainsaw
(available at http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/chainsaw.html):

1. Save the xml file included below to disk (change the fileURL path)
2. Open Chainsaw
3. Select the view-show application wide preferences menu to open the
preferences window
4. Modify the configuration url field (bottom of screen) to include the
URL to this xml file - example: file:///c:/chainsaw.xml
5. Close the preferences window
6. Close Chainsaw
7. Restart Chainsaw

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<!DOCTYPE log4j:configuration >
<log4j:configuration xmlns:log4j="http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/"
debug="true">

   <plugin name="LogFileReceiver"
class="org.apache.log4j.varia.LogFilePatternReceiver">
     <param name="fileURL"
value="file:///c:/downloads/jboss/server/default/log/server.log"/>
     <param name="timestampFormat" value="yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss,SSS"/>
     <param name="logFormat" value="TIMESTAMP LEVEL [LOGGER] MESSAGE"/>
     <param name="name" value="jbossLogFileReceiver"/>
     <param name="tailing" value="true"/>
   </plugin>

   <root>
      <level value="debug"/>