From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: DailyFileAppender exception
Date Thu, 16 Feb 2006 00:12:19 GMT

On Feb 15, 2006, at 5:39 PM, Kamal Ahmed wrote:

> Curt,
>
> Yes, you are absolutely right , this is a unit test, and line 43:
> Throwable e = new Throwable("exception");
>
> Needs to be there since I need to manually create a LoggingEvent,
> which
> needs a Throwable object.

In client code (that is code that is just using log4j) it is
unnecessary to create a LoggingEvent, one will be created by the
Logger in response to a call to Logger.debug() and similar methods.
If you do need to create a LoggingEvent (for example, in a unit test
to test your custom appender), it is not necessary to construct a
Throwable since you can pass null for that parameter on the
LoggingEvent constructor.  From the description of your unit test, it
appears that you are calling methods similar to what would occur in
the following snippet of client

try {
    //   do something that might throw an exception
} catch(Exception e) {
     logger.debug("Hello, World", e);
}

In that case, a LoggingEvent would be constructed with a message
"Hello, World" and would contain the exception.  Most layouts would
result in the user supplied message ("Hello, World") and then the
message and stack trace of the exception.  log4j does not appear to
be throwing an exception, it just appears to be reporting an
exception that you requested it to log.