From "Crook, Laura" <LCr...@Kronos.com>
Subject RE: Logging unicode characters with log4j
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2006 15:57:37 GMT

Curt, thanks for the quick response.  Those are all good questions.
Platform:  Windows XP
JDK:		1.4.2_04
I've opened the log file in a hex editor, and yes, every other character
is 00 for English text.

We were using log4j version 1.2.8; I've downloaded 1.2.13 and am testing
now.  I'm not sure it will make a difference, though; I created my own
FileAppender (not using our class that extends it), and I was able to
successfully log Chinese characters.  This implies that log4j is
probably not the culprit.

-----Original Message-----
From: Curt Arnold [mailto:carnold@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 4:37 PM
To: Log4J Users List
Subject: Re: Logging unicode characters with log4j

On Feb 1, 2006, at 3:05 PM, Crook, Laura wrote:

> I am attempting to set our logs up so that they will save Chinese
> characters properly, and I'm not having much luck.  We have a class
> which extends FileAppender, and in it I'm doing a brute-force
> appender.setEncoding("UTF-16"), but unfortunately I'm still seeing
> question marks in the log file.
>

> Can anyone tell me what I need to do to make this work?

Please confirm that the problem still occurs with the latest release
of log4j.  I recall some encoding related bugs that were fixed prior
to 1.2.12, but can't locate the exact bug reports.

Could you tell us the platform, JDK, and version of log4j you are using?

Can you open the log file with a hex editor?  Does it appear to be a
double byte file, that is every other byte is 00 in stretches of
English text.

Does the problem occur when FileAppender is used or only when using
your extension of FileAppender?