From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: checkEntryConditions() in WriterAppender does not seem to be clo sing appender
Date Tue, 21 Feb 2006 17:40:38 GMT

On Feb 21, 2006, at 10:38 AM, Kamal Ahmed wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I am using log4j 1.3.8, testing DailyFileAppender  which extends
> FileAppender.

There is no such release as 1.3.8.  There is a 1.2.8 and there is the
1.3 branch with alpha releases.  It does little good to report
behavior from an older release (with the exception of regressed
behavior and then you would still need to say what happens in the
current code).  If you have questions, please work with the latest
SVN source or at least the last release.  Not doing that requires
that a responder dig out the old release to answer your question
which makes less likely that anyone will go to the trouble.

> Now while testing the method DailyFileAppenderDafaultConstructor, I
> see the
> functionality provided by WriterAppender (see below)

> Ran the class in debug mode, and it passes the statement
> logger.debug("m2");
> , it seems wmDfa.close(); does not really close the Appender.
>
> And it IS printing :
>

> System.out.println("one");

Since you never called activateOptions(), you are not calling a
closed appender, you are calling a partially configured and inactive
appender.

checkEntryConditions does not attempt to close the appender, it
checks whether the appender is closed on a logging request.  In the
1.3 code base, its check is in addition to a check in
AppenderSkeleton which will prevent an attempt to write to a closed
appender ever getting that far.