From Néstor Boscán <nestor.bos...@tcsapp.com.ve>
Subject RE: Initialize problem on linux machine
Date Wed, 17 May 2006 22:08:11 GMT
Hi Curt

I downloaded a patch utility but I'm getting:

Appender.patch
patching file AsyncAppender.java
Assertion failed: hunk, file ../patch-2.5.9-src/patch.c, line 339

way.

Do you have the AsyncAppender file already patched so I can simply replace
the file and build.

Regards,

Néstor Boscán

-----Mensaje original-----
De: Curt Arnold [mailto:carnold@apache.org]
Enviado el: Wednesday, May 17, 2006 2:48 PM
Para: Log4J Users List
Asunto: Re: Initialize problem on linux machine

On May 17, 2006, at 1:00 PM, James Stauffer wrote:

> Run with -Dlog4j.debug and it should show you how it it trying to
> configure itself.

Default configuration should occur BEFORE XmlSplitter.main() is entered and
the "log4j.file.name" system property is set.  To me, it looks like it would
occur during the getLogger() call.  If you want to set the property, either:

a) use a command line option, -Dlog4j.file.name=XmlSplitter
b) ensure that the system property is set before the call to
Logger.getLogger()
c) explicitly initialize logging

For option b, you could do something like:

private static final Logger logger = createLogger();

private static final Logger createLogger() {
           System.setProperty("log4j.file.name", "XmlSplitter");
           return Logger.getLogger(XmlSplitter.class.getName());
}

However, if something else triggers default initialization, you could still
have the same issue of setting the property after it was attempted to be
used.

If your problem wasn't a bungled file name due to the property not being
set, then please elaborate on what appears to be going wrong.