From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Logger vs. Appender
Date Mon, 08 May 2006 05:56:36 GMT
An appender corresponds to the destination of a logging request, like
a file, email, database record, network packet, etc.  Creating a
custom appender to support new types of destinations is a common
practice and well supported.

A logger corresponds to a topic of a logging request, like requests
related to database activity, security or a particular class.
Creating custom logger implementations is not a common practice.  The
typical motivation to create a custom logger implementation is to
support additional levels.  In most cases, the desire for additional
new levels is due to a misunderstanding of the role of logger names
(to represent topics or intended audience).  If you feel that a
custom Appender is not adequate, please describe to the list your
needs and we should be able to help suggest possibly solutions other
than extending Logger.