From Sam <sam...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: UTF-8 Logging
Date Wed, 03 May 2006 18:35:09 GMT
Thanks for the follow up. I did some more testing and using the property '
log4j.appender.ErrorMonitor.Encoding=UTF-8' did work correctly. I was able
to see UTF-8 chars in my logs.  The confusing bit is that the rolling file
appender is outputting a file that does not have any bits specifying the
character set.  So for example, when I open the file in BBEdit, it believes
the file format and character encoding is DOS Mac OS Roman.

To answer your other questions.

>    - Does specifying the encoding work correctly for plain FileAppender
> and is broken for RollingFileAppender?

I have not tried.

> What version of log4j are you using?

log4j 1.2.8

>  Does the behavior change when using the SVN trunk?

I'll have to try. Thanks for the tip.

Sam.

Sam.