From "Darren Hall" <dh...@utrs.com>
Subject setting up log4j
Date Mon, 12 Jun 2006 21:02:15 GMT
Greetings all,

I'm using Struts 1.2.9 (with commons-logging 1.1) and the problem I'm having
is that I cannot seem to get my DEBUG level log statements to print.

>>From what I've read online, it seems that commons-logging is a wrapper
around log4j (actually I have not confirmed this and tend to doubt it since
I don't see any references to log4j in my installation of struts). In any
case, the commons-logging output for struts is printing to the Tomcat logs.
It does not print my DEBUG level messages, and I need to get this to happen.

Since I couldn't find a reference to log4j in my Struts installation, I
downloaded log4j and included it in my build of struts, and now I get no
messages to print to the Tomcat logs (not INFO or ERROR, which were printing
before I installed log4j). I created a simple "log4j.properties" file to
attempt to configure log4j and obviously I failed miserably.

Basically I need to know how to either A) get my debug messages printing to
the Tomcat output using the commons-logging functionality; or B) get log4j
configured properly so that it will allow me to output debug messages. (If I
need to go with the second option, it would be nice to have it output to a
log file specific to my application and not the Tomcat log file - although
I'm not sure how to go about configuring this.)

Can anyone please get me started with this issue?

Thanks,

Darren