From "Levy, Jeremy" <Jeremy.L...@morganstanley.com>
Subject RollingFileAppender not rolling over
Date Mon, 19 Jun 2006 18:07:57 GMT
Below is an excerpt from my log4j.properties file.

As I understood it, if I used the RollingFileAppender, when the log file
reached the MaxFileSize the log would be renamed with a .1 appended to
the end.  Only MaxBackupIndex # of copies would be kept.

What I am noticing is that when the MaxFileSize is met, the log purged
and no backups are kept.

---------------------------------

log4j.debug=true
log4j.rootCategory=WARN
log4j.logger.com.myprod.prog=DEBUG,MyFile

log4j.appender.MyFile=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.MyFile.File=logs/myLogService.log
log4j.appender.MyFile.MaxFileSize=10MB
log4j.appender.MyFile.MaxBackupIndex=100
log4j.appender.MyFile.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.MyFile.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{ISO8601} %-5p [%t]
App:%X{appName} %c{2} - %m%n

Important Notice to Recipients:
It is important that you do not use e-mail to request, authorize or effect the purchase or
sale of any security or commodity, to send fund transfer instructions, or to effect any other
transactions. Any such request, orders, or instructions that you send will not be accepted
and will not be processed by Morgan Stanley.