From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Encryption of log
Date Wed, 14 Jun 2006 15:56:14 GMT

On Jun 14, 2006, at 2:33 AM, Jan-Olof Sivtoft wrote:

> Hi
>
> The project Im working with want to encrypt the log file. It also want
> to use RollingFileAppender. My intention was to extend
> RollingFileAppender and change the creation of FileOutputStream to
> ChiperOutputStream and override setFile in FileAppender to do the same
> and so on, but RollingFileAppender is final (Im using log4j
> 1.3alpha-8)
> . So I have been thinking and looking around to find out a workaround
> without any success.
>
> So my question is: Anybody got any experience or any ideas how to
> solve
> this?
>
> BG / JO
> <http://www.cybercomgroup.com/>

There are two RollingFileAppender's in log4j 1.3.x.
org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender (o.a.l.RFA or log4j 1.2 RFA) and
org.apache.log4j.rolling.RollingFileAppender (o.a.l.r.RFA or log4j
1.3 RFA).  o.a.l.RFA was originally not in the log4j 1.3 development
has been added back for compatibility.  In 1.3.8, it was a proxy for
o.a.l.r.RFA which would allow log4j 1.2 configuration files to
continue to work.  But since then the log4j 1.2 RFA has been ported
into log4j 1.3 so that extensions of the log4j 1.2 RFA would continue
to work.

If you are wanting to extend the new o.a.l.r.RFA, you would want to
provide a new RollingPolicy which would open encrypted files.
o.a.l.r.RFA is marked as final since it is intended to be extended by
users providing custom RollingPolicy and TriggeringPolicy.

If you are wanting to extend the old o.a.l.RFA, you can get the
source from SVN.