From "Scott Deboy" <sde...@comotivsystems.com>
Subject RE: Chainsaw doesn't show receiver tab for LogFilePatternReceiver
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2006 21:38:17 GMT
Your xml config file looks correct.

If you're building a receiver config by hand, filterExpression should be
an expression using Chainsaw's expression syntax - it will only process
events in the file matching the expression, like LEVEL > WARN (see the
tutorial for more info).

The chainsaw-log tab should have information about why the receiver is
not processing events.  Can you provide a few sample events?

Scott Deboy
Principal Engineer
COMOTIV SYSTEMS
111 SW Columbia Street Ste. 950
Portland, OR  97201
Telephone: 503.224.7496
Cell: 503.997.1367
Fax: 503.222.0185
sdeboy@comotivsystems.com
www.comotivsystems.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Joshua.P.Williams@alltel.com [mailto:Joshua.P.Williams@alltel.com]

Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2006 1:59 PM
To: log4j-user@logging.apache.org
Subject: Chainsaw doesn't show receiver tab for LogFilePatternReceiver

I am using log4j in one of my projects and was hoping to be able to read
this file with chainsaw, however after setting up a receiver for my log
file within chainsaw, I don't get a tab to view the results.
I have attached a sample log file to this e-mail.
I have also tried using the attached config file.
I am creating a receiver for the file using the following parameters;

fileURL:  file:///c:/events.log
filterExpression:  %r [%t] %-5p %c %x - %m%n
logFormat:  PROP[RELATIVETIME) [THREAD] LEVEL LOGGER * - MESSAGE
name:  TGV
tailing:  false
timestampFormat:  yyyy-MM-d HH:mm:ss,SSS

In the Chainsaw log tab I am seeing messages that my filter expression
is incorrect.

*****
The information contained in this message, including attachments, may
contain privileged or confidential information that is intended to be
delivered only to the person identified above. If you are not the
intended recipient, or the person responsible for delivering this
message to the intended recipient, ALLTEL requests that you immediately
notify the sender and asks that you do not read the message or its
attachments, and that you delete them without copying or sending them to
anyone else.