From "Javier Gonzalez" <jagon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Seperate log files for Tomcat / Java errors and application info
Date Tue, 06 Jun 2006 14:30:37 GMT
Follow these steps:

1.- define one file appender for app messages and one appender for
non-app messages.

2.- attach non-app appender to the root logger

3.- attach the app appender to the highest point of your app hierachy.
Here I'm assuming you app is organized with a package hierachy that
can be traced to a package that is the father of all your packages,
and that you name your loggers after your classes, i.e. if your app is
organized within a package hierachy that is called
"com.robertbowen.app.*",  you want to attach your app logger to
"com.robertbowen.app".

4.- turn off additivity in the com.robertbowen.app logger. Very
important, if you don't do this your app output will mingle with your
non-app output at the root logger.

5.- Done! With this approach, you can also have your app on DEBUG and
non-app messages on INFO or WARNING.

On 6/6/06, Robert Bowen <syg6@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have been scouring the list and have found a few mentions of how to maintain two seperate
log files but I can't find examples and in any case what I would like to do is something a
little different although I'm sure easy to do.

> My app spits out all kinds of info in a certain, precise format. Tomcat startup/shutdown
and Java exceptions are sneaking into my log. I would like tobe able to have all non-app messages
go to one log, and app messages to another.

> I am using xml format andmy log4j.xml is dirt simple. Can anyone tell me how to do this,
or point me to a link? The documentation is enormous and they seem to explain just about everything
you can possibly do with log4j ... except what I want to do. :(

--
Javier González Nicolini