From "Scott Deboy" <sde...@comotivsystems.com>
Subject RE: creating log files which are readable for Chainsaw
Date Thu, 14 Dec 2006 13:57:51 GMT
Add a consoleappender to the socketserver config which prints line, method, etc. via patternlayout
patterns.  If you see it there, you should be able to get it into the xml files.

Scott Deboy
COMOTIV SYSTEMS
111 SW Columbia Street Ste. 950
Portland, OR  97201

Telephone:      503.224.7496
Cell:           503.997.1367
Fax:            503.222.0185

sdeboy@comotivsystems.com

www.comotivsystems.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Tak√°cs Bence [mailto:takacs.bence@gmail.com]
Sent: Wed 12/13/2006 10:41 AM
To: Log4J Users List
Subject: creating log files which are readable for Chainsaw

Hello

I use a SocketServer to collect the logs to a server, then I store them
into files. I use XmlLayout for formatting.

If I watch the files with Chainsaw, the Class, Method, Line, MDC fields
are empty, even though the are in present on the clients console. I
haven't find theese values in the XML file either. I don't think that
the SocketAppender would be responsible for the vanishing, so I think
that the XMLLayout mess up the datas somehow.

My question is: how can I config the SocketServer to make a file which
consists theese values and is readable with Chainsaw?
In general: How (with which pattern configuration) can I make files
which consists theese values and is readable with Chainsaw?

Thanks:
   Bence