From "James Stauffer" <stauffer.ja...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Change the log hierarchy on a log server
Date Mon, 04 Dec 2006 17:19:43 GMT
AFAIK there is no way to set it in the config file so one way to set
it is to call MDC.put("server", serverName) at the beginning of every
doGet or doPost.  Another option may be to have the socket server call
MDC.put("server", clientName) but I haven't tried that option.

On 12/4/06, Bence Takács <takacs.bence@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm sorry, I haven't used MDC before. How can I set it from the config
> (properties, or xml) file?
>
> What do you mean "at the beginning of every servlet call"? You mean
> that all my servlet has to set MDC in the doGet(), and doPost()
> methods? Could you write an example code?
>
> Thanks:
>    Bence
>
> On 12/4/06, James Stauffer <stauffer.james@gmail.com> wrote:
> > If you set the MDC at the beginning of every servlet call then most
> > errors will have it set.
> >
> > On 12/4/06, Bence Takács <takacs.bence@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hello
> > >
> > > Could you express, what do you mean? In the documentation there is no
> > > example for managing MDC-s from config files (only for reading them).
> > > But I cannot change tomcat's codes, i can change it's logging
> > > properties from the logging.properties, or xml file.
> > >
> > > Could you help me, how can I manage MDC through this kinds of config files?
> > >
> > > Thanks:
> > >    Bence

to make sure the originating server is in an MDC field. This may well be taken care of in
your setup already.

clients log. All the clients use their application specific settings, and a root logger (in
ERROR level) to catch tomcat Exceptions.