From <sach.j...@wipro.com>
Subject Logging Strategy: Using multiple Loggers in same Class file
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2007 09:46:44 GMT

Hi,

In my application, I wanted to use logging this way:

1. Use general log4j logging statement which goes to a project log file
(It works fine).  For e.g logger.getLogger( "ToolCli.class" );

2. A special log which needs to be written to a separate file. Here we
are not concerned about the log levels. We need only one level.
Basically we need to log the summary of a particular transaction of our
application. And those log statement for that particular transaction
would come from different Java class files.

To achive this I create another unique named logger and get this logger
in the classes wherever I wanted to use it. This would result in having
2 Logger.getLogger in my class files. It solves my purpose but just
wondering if my approach is fine?

Please provide if you have any comments/suggestions. Thanks.

Below is the sample code snippet:

public class ToolCli
{
   private static Logger logger = Logger.getLogger( "ToolCli.class );
   private static Logger statusLogger = Logger.getLogger( "JobStatus" );
   void myMethod() {
   statusLogger.info("Started Job...");
   }
   void myMethod2() {
   logger.info("something to be logged...");
   }

}

public class JobHandler
{
   private static Logger logger = Logger.getLogger( "JobHandler.class );
   private static Logger statusLogger = Logger.getLogger( "JobStatus" );
   void myMethod() {
   statusLogger.info("Aborted Job...");
   }
   void myMethod2() {
   logger.info("something to be logged...");
   }

}

In log4j.xml  apart from root logger JobStatus is defined as :

   <logger name="JobStatus" additivity="false" >
      <level value="DEBUG" />
      <appender-ref ref="job"/>
   </logger>

  <root>