From "Propes, Barry L " <barry.l.pro...@citi.com>
Subject RE: log4j implementation question
Date Fri, 01 Jun 2007 15:23:54 GMT
also, Jake,

my commons-logging.jar file (NOT my commons-logging-api.jar, but just commons-logging.jar)
is in the following dir. for me:

$TOMCAT_HOME\server\lib

should I throw in the log4j jar file in there as well?

-----Original Message-----
From: Jacob Kjome [mailto:hoju@visi.com]
Sent: Friday, June 01, 2007 12:32 AM
To: Log4J Users List
Subject: Re: log4j implementation question

On Thu, 31 May 2007 17:24:45 -0400
  "Propes, Barry L " <barry.l.propes@citi.com> wrote:
> ok, I did check out the wizard site, and that's a big help..thanks.
> I really like that.
>
> While I've put the properties, xml and jar file all in the WEB-INF/lib
>directory of my app, I still have a problem.
>
> If I change the server.xml reference in the following tag from
> org.apache.catalina.logger.FileLogger  to org.apache.log4j.Logger,
> Tomcat balks upon startup.
>
> I'll keep messing with it...I'll get there.

Are you using Log4j for application logging or Server logging?  These are two
very different beasts, expecially with the old version of Tomcat you must be
using, since you are using FileLogger.  I would guess it is 4.0 or something
very old like that.

For Application logging, you don't mess with Tomcat's logging at all.  For
server logging, piping it through Log4j may or may not be possible with Tomcat
4.xx.  It certainly is with 5.0+ by going through commons-logging.  Also, to
configure Log4j for Tomcat, log4j.properties or log4j.xml would have to be in
commons/classes along with log4j.jar and commons-logging.jar in common/lib.
 Don't mess with this.  You've got enough on your plate with figuring out the
basic workings of Log4j.  Concentrate on using Log4j for logging in your
application only for now.

Jake