From ashish talati <ajtal...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Please help- Chainsaw Configuration
Date Mon, 18 Jun 2007 19:50:09 GMT
Hi Scott,
  Thank you very much for your help,
  However I am still confused. Sorry for that as I am newbie in this so couldnt figure out.

  1) Regarding Timestamp , yes I am also getting in the log file but it is different then
the timestamp in the Chainsaw log panel.
  below is the timestamp i m getting in the log panel and log file,

          Time   2007-06-18 11:50:02,223   ----> in the chainsaw log panel

  timestamp="1182185402223"---------> in the log file

  It looks entirely different except last 5 digits.

  2)I really dont know how to configure specific logger for my rolling File appender.
  Can you give me specific example? (what can be logger hierarchy?)
  I tried to create as below ,but It is not working.

  <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
  <!DOCTYPE log4j:configuration>

  <log4j:configuration xmlns:log4j="http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/" debug="true">

  <plugin name="SocketReceiver" class="org.apache.log4j.net.SocketReceiver">
  <param name="Port" value="4445"/>
  </plugin>

  <log4j.logger.SocketReceiver_log=all,RollingFile>
  <appender name="RollingFile" class="org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender">
  <param name="File" value="C:\\chainsaw1.log"/>
  <param name="Append" value="true"/>
  <param name="MaxFileSize" value="1000KB"/>
  <param name="maxBackupIndex" value="5"/>
  <layout class="org.apache.log4j.xml.XMLLayout"/>
  </appender>
  <root>

  <appender-ref ref="RollingFile"/>
  </root>
  </log4j:configuration>

  3) I observed that The logs are storing in the Log file ,however It is skipping first few
(specifically in my case 9) logs, that means the log storing in local log file starts after
small amount of time which skpis the first few logs. (that can be Disastrous in my application)
  Do you have any solution for this problem?

  4)Drag and Drop XML file is still not working for me.
  Below are few logs from my XML file: (Right now I am just testing so its a internal chainsaw
logs , I haven't implimented my application yet)

  <log4j:event logger="org.apache.log4j.joran.action.ConfigurationAction" timestamp="1182185395333"
sequenceNumber="21" level="DEBUG" thread="javawsApplicationMain">
<log4j:message><![CDATA[Starting internal logs on console.]]></log4j:message>
<log4j:properties>
    <log4j:data name="application" value="log"/>
    <log4j:data name="hostname" value="chainsaw"/>
</log4j:properties>
</log4j:event>

  <log4j:event logger="org.apache.log4j.joran.action.PluginAction" timestamp="1182185395333"
sequenceNumber="22" level="DEBUG" thread="javawsApplicationMain">
<log4j:message><![CDATA[About to instantiate plugin of type [org.apache.log4j.net.SocketReceiver]]]></log4j:message>
<log4j:properties>
    <log4j:data name="application" value="log"/>
    <log4j:data name="hostname" value="chainsaw"/>
</log4j:properties>
</log4j:event>

  And when I try to drag and drop this type of XML log files it gives me following logs and
it keep increasing infinitely. ( I just pasted the messages that keep repeating)

Log4jEntityResolver.resolveEntity(null, dummy://log4j.dtd/log4j.dtd) called

setFile called: C:\chainsaw1.log, true

setFile ended

Failure in post-close rollover action

I am really stuck in these issues , So please help me if you have any sollution for these.

Thanks.

Regards,

Scott Deboy <sdeboy@comotivsystems.com> wrote:
  1. I see a 'timestamp' attribute in each event in chainsaw1.log (and see #4 - when I imported
it, I got correct timestamps in the log file)

2. Don't configure your rollingfileappender as the root appender - instead, specify a specific
logger (your logger hierarchy) with the rolling file appender.

3. There is a serialization incompatibility between log4j 1.2x socketappender and the log4j
1.3 socketreceiver..this is being fixed with our work to get Chainsaw and appenders into the
1.2 codebase (may be fixed in the next release)

4. it worked for me, provide more info (are these rolled files you're testing? If so, paste
the first few lines of the file. My log file isn't an actual xml document with a root node
- it contains ONLY log4j:event nodes.

Scott Deboy
COMOTIV SYSTEMS
111 SW Columbia Street Ste. 950